Friday, August 12, 2011

Hello...



...my name is Mrs. Edwin Smith-Standish, but my closest friends call me Martha Smith-Standish. You may call me Mrs. Smith-Standish.  I am your average housewife from Shaker Heights, Ohio. At the insistence of my son, Bruce Standish of San Francisco, California, I am going to attempt to "blog". 

That is to say that Bruce feels that there might be other people out in the "Internet" who might be interested in my thoughts and my activities. Personally, I can't imagine such a thing.  Can you imagine? Nevertheless, Bruce refuses to drop the matter and feels that this will be a positive influence on my life. So he explained to me that sharing my day to day struggles, and my thoughts on civil behavior could better the lives of others.  And frankly, who could argue with logic?

So, I hope to drop in in those moments when I am not engaged in my club work, lifelong learning programs, bridge club, charity work for the poor, or preoccupied by my hobby of showing Corgis at Westminster, to share my outlook on the world.

Please feel free to drop in on this "blog" (and isn't that just a frightful sounding word!) whenever you can.  However, I must ask that if you plan a visit at my home in Shaker Heights, Ohio, and by all means I hope you will, please call* ahead so I may check my schedule.  Otherwise, I shall see you on the blog.

With fondest thoughts,

Mrs. Edwin Smith Standish (aka, Martha)

*Some of you might be wondering what our home telephone number is, so that you may call ahead, as I have asked.  I am sorry to report that our number is unlisted; we don't give it out capriciously to just anyone. I'm sure that you will understand. While that may place you at a disadvantage, please don't feel so - there are many, many people that don't know it - including our granddaughter Lacey Smith-Standish who is current enrolled vacationing at Hazelton in Minnesota - so take comfort in knowing that there are many, many people just like you - so you aren't alone.

17 comments:

  1. Hello, very nice to make your acquaintance, Edwin [short for Edwina?].
    Anyhow, I saw you feeling the firmness of the cucumber over at MJ's and thought I'd pop by.
    Sx
    P.S Nobody knows my number either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you met Miss Normadesmond?

    She, too, shows Corgis.

    You might want to visit her blog (see link on my Blogroll...there's another frightful-sounding word for you...BLOGROLL. Sounds like BOGROLL which is a slang term used by Brits for a roll of toilet tissue.)

    Oh Hai, Miss Scarlet!

    (Speaking of Brits)

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. You look rather like Betty Crocker.

    Or like what AyeM8y will look like in his golden years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is this, 1973 Earth-Tones Day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Martha,

    (may I call you Martha?) I was born in Akron, Ohio and I hope you won't hold that against me.

    Sincerely,

    Boxer

    (oh hai XL, MJ and Scarlet!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martha's box certainly is filling up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imagine my utter surprise to find all of you, here, loitering about. And will wonders never cease - Bruce was correct! The excitement is simply too, too much. I must lay down on my chaise, cucumber slices (but not from that depraved young man, thank you very much) over my eyes and relax. Please, do come again.

    Yours,

    Martha Smith-Standish

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mrs Smith-Standish,

    congratulations to your tasteful blog.
    I am looking forward to reading about your thoughts and activities.

    Sincerely

    mago

    ReplyDelete
  9. (removes hat)

    How do you do Mrs. Smith-Standish? I have heard so much about you and am delighted to make your acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Day Mrs Smith-Standish,

    I'm so please to meet you. I hope you will excuse my poor syntax and my not so extended vocabulary, for english is not my mother tongue. Mistress MJ is of great help keeping me from being to much befogged by all the so delicious idioms used by her fabulous fanclub members and preserving me from making any deplorable "faux pas".

    I have already enjoyed your very insightful perspective in the matter of interior decoration on MJ's BLOGUE and I'm looking forward to delighting myself with your thoughtful opinions and the wonderful stories of your fascinating daily life.

    Avec mes plus sicères amitiés,

    Jon, also known as Deep Bleu.


    Oh Hai MJ! I hope I didn't screw up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good evening Mrs Smith-Standish,

    How lovely to make your acquaintance. I do so hope we will be seeing far more of you over at Infomaniac. It would be lovely to have your more civilising touch over there.

    Do feel free to pop by and visit my own blog. I'm afraid I don't publish my telephone numbers either, but we really must get together sometime soon. Though, no cucumber sandwiches will be served.

    Yours sincerely

    Roses

    PS. Are any of your sons of marrigeable age? I am looking for a second husband, with some standing in society (not to mention a decent sized....trust fund).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Miss Roses,

    I plan on introducing my children to each of you in the coming week ahead. One each day of the week, beginning Monday.

    Fondly,

    MS-S

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have any suggestions for how to remove yogurt stains?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Afternoon Mrs. Smith-Standish,

    How do you do?
    My name is Wally, aka "a Queens' Queen", and I am stopping by today to say welcome, to what I like to call Blogslyvannia.

    I also spent a good deal of my youth in Ohio, Richfield, actually. I did make more than a couple of friends in Shaker Heights, and have spent time there, though that was years ago...

    Looking forward to reading more of your tasteful and concise comments.

    w

    Oh, Hai Everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blog. Blog blog blog blog blog. Pussy willow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Dear Mrs. Smith-Standish.

    How frightfully delightful it is to finally meet such a voice of sensibility and good reason among so many others out there in the blogisphere.

    One gets so bored with those whom claim to hold an opinion (however misguided) on every subject yet at the same time are very eager to do little else but peddle vulgarity and smut.

    Your Son Bruce, of San Francisco, may I add ... Sounds like a lovely boy... and I commend him in his wisdom and persistence and no doubt, loving encouragement on your foray into the world of blogging.

    Congratulations! And I look forward to further postings which no doubt will reflect your obvious sense of decorum and good taste....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well It is very nice to read about you going ons at in Shaker Heights,Mrs. Smith-Standish. Love the name. It so nice to see a woman of society with manners and decorium! I am recently split with my Boy-Toy, but am trying to date several beaus hoping to be married like yourself for years to come. My blog, oh dear, that word again, Designing Wally raves about you dear, so I just had to stop by and introduce myself! Tootles for now!

    ReplyDelete