Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wedding Bells

On Saturday we attended a lovely Jewish wedding between the children of two my husband Edwin's law partner's children who are are now Mr. & Mrs. Sheldon Tway.  Of course the death of Phoebe took my mind off reporting.

The body language tells me there is an under current

Just look at these youngsters.  So happy and so much to look forward to once Sheldon graduates from medical school someplace in the Caribbean.  I forget the exact location but for some reason it sounds like "The Republic of Vera Hrueba Ralston" or something close to that.

And for there honeymoon they are going to spend a fortnight in an Israeli Kibbutz where they can learn the practice of sharing manual labor.  I asked Suzette's (the bride) mother if they wouldn't prefer to go someplace with a nice beach, but she insisted that "Suzette and Shelly are going to do their own thing, and that breaks our heart because we thought they would have liked a week at Sandals or some such. Kids!"

It caused me to pause and remember  the honeymoon that Edwin and I so enjoyed.  We spent a week at the Greenbriar. It was so wonderful that I completely forgot that I was married!

In any event  the food was quite tasty.  As I said both families are Jewish Light, so there was surf and turf, asparagus, divine potatoes, salmon mousse, and a mixed vegetable that one can not describe (but I am sure was so good it was just loaded with sodium) and for dessert the most darling little wedding cakes - for each of us.  And we were seated at the same table as the Rabbi and her husband, who is an orthodontist in Solon, Ohio.  A delightful couple - however the husband chews with his mouth open. 

The couple will be returning to Ohio in September and will make their first permanent home in a sweet condominium in Solon before Shelly head back to school for the fall term.  Suzette will follow in November after her new nose heals up.  She'll spend winter on the island with Shelly working on her tan.

For their wedding gift Edwin and I purchased and gave a set of sterling Paul Revere bowls from Shreve, Crump & Low in Boston.  We know that silver is passé but one needs a place to put the display candies when one decorates, no?

There was dancing and gaiety.  Edwin and I danced to "Moon Over Miami" and "I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Shiksa Kate".  What fun!


Taffy's brother, who is a Hollywood based film producer was there and I found him to be a nonstop talker.  According to Taffy, it's what producer's do - "schmooze and yak."  I couldn't get rid of the man, but then I thought of the first real movie star I could think of and I said  "isn't that Rhonda Fleming over there and off he went."


Towards the end of the night Taffy cornered me and asked me what I thought of the happy couple.  And I told her that they were radiant.  She said she's giving it three years until the final divorce decree, with Suzette getting custody of the one grandchild.


That Taffy; you never know what she'll say!


Yours in the moment, 


Mrs Edwin Smith-Standish

3 comments:

  1. Mrs. Smith-Standish,

    I regret that the following note was mid-delivered to me.

    Dear Martha,

    We are absolutely delighted with the set of sterling Paul Revere bowls that you gave the young couple. In the event that the couple are ungrateful wretches and do not properly thank you for this very kind, gracious, and classic gift, please accept our thanks on their behalf. In a world that is becoming increasingly cheap and tawdry, your exemplary generosity and thoughtfulness are a delightful and refreshing breath of fresh air.

    Very truly yours,

    Mrs Aidan William Hamilton-Smythe III
    (Elizabeth)

    PS I was sad to hear of Phoebe's death. Please express our condolences to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madame

    Taffy, Taffy, Taffy.....

    A prophet is not without honor....

    Yours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for teaching this wonderful line which I shall put to use at the most awkward occasions: "isn't that Rhonda Fleming over there?"--with all due respect one should be able to use their star of preference, correct? "isn't that (Mamie Van Doren, Faith Domergue, Nancy Davis, or Mercedes McCambridge) over there?" For the youngster a simple "isn't that Pamela Sue Martin, Calista Flockhart, Anne Lockhart or Arlene Golonka over there?"

    ReplyDelete