Friday, August 19, 2011

My plans for the weekend...

...include reading, catching up on my hand written correspondence, getting my hair done at Joey and Tanno's and attending the wedding of Suzette Rosenthal, who is the daughter of Abraham and "Taffy" Rosenthal.  Abraham is Edwin's partner in the law firm of Smith-Standish, Rosenthal, Burger and Tway.  They have known one and other since their days at Stanford.

Abraham's wife Taffy - a vivacious woman who has a rapier sharp wit, has really gone all out on the wedding on Saturday.  The Rosenthal's are Jewish-lite, so there is no worry about sundown issues.  Then we'll travel to Abraham and Taffy's home in Pepper Pike where they have erected an air conditioned marquis.  The grounds of their home are really quite extraordinary considering that neither Abraham or Taffy has anything to do with outdoors. Of course, Executive Catering will be doing all of the food, and I am very sure that it will be tasty and as well as laced with all sorts of wonderful Jewish foods. 

Suzette is marrying Sheldon Tway, who is the son of Akido and Miriam (Kopowitz) Tway.  Akido is in the firm along with Edwin and Abraham, so it's really much more like family affair.   Edwin and I so enjoy these interfaith affairs because we can dance to a foxtrot, or to the Chicken Dance Polka; we do not "Electric Slide" as it is unflattering at our age.  I hope that Taffy took my advice though and dropped the klezmer music.  It is an acquired taste.

Me, my Contour Chair and a good book.

It was Taffy who recommended that our book club take on Victoria Lincoln's "A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden by Daylight" and I must say that I am reveling in all of its WASPishness.  And so many of the people who involved in the case, as Lincoln describes them, they remind me of the staid New Englander's  back home in the Bay State.  Although none of them murdered their parents, at least to my knowledge.

So for the remainder of the weekend I shall be preoccupied.  But do come back on Monday - this has been great fun.

Fondly yours,

Mrs. Edwin Smith-Standish

5 comments:

  1. I will be reading Bonita's blog. Or 'Nita', as she likes to be called.
    God, I'm tired.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madame

    As we have witnessed, there are, on this planet, certain people that can just suck all of the life out of it.

    Perhaps, one day when we are all alone & the children are fast asleep, you and I could hit the dance-floor with none looking and then, arm in arm, privately make a mockery of the electric slide.

    Yours

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am quite taken with your plans for the weekend.
    I find that there is nothing better than relaxing with a good book.
    I get tear-full at weddings, mainly because legally I am not permitted to do so!
    I wish for nothing more than to stand before my husband to be... and proclaim our undying love for one another before friends and family gathered to witness our conubials...

    But alas... I am yet to find a suitable beau...

    Yet... I shall remain ever hopeful that one day my Prince will come....

    Now where did I leave that comfortable tome I was reading?...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you considered having your hair done at The Hair Hall of Fame Salon?

    The Manager, a certain Mr. Cookie, is a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have gone to finishing school with Akido Tway. If memory serves me right, Akido who's sensei, 3rd or 4th generation Japanese...used to dress up as a Ninja and come into the boys' room for a Japanese traditional "game" of "ninja's hard sword in hand" or something like that. My memory is just not as good as it once was.

    ReplyDelete